Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Opinion Piece Writing Starters

Delving into the Common Core writing standards is quite the eye opener. No more endless free writing journal time (not that we've had much of that in recent years anyway). Time to read Informational Texts with a relish and be able to argue an opinion with logic and persuasion. I admit. Initially looking at this writing strand left me feeling more frazzled than energized. However, thanks to the wonders of the blogosphere and Pinterest, I have been able to gather a smattering of graphic organizers and lesson ideas that have piqued my interest in teaching the topic. Hopefully, these resources will do the same for my students as well!  

{here}

What kiddo wouldn't love to start using this versatile organizer with a tasty oreo to entice them into the world of artful persuasion? After luring them in with sugar, then we could brainstorm together as a class what other topics we would like to form opinions on through the use of this fun visual. 



{here free on TPT}

What I most particularly like about this highly versatile graphic organizer is that it has the connecting words because, and, and also in a bold box with a smiling bear on top so that students will remember to use one of those three magic little words opinion pieces so heavily depend upon. Brilliant!


{here}

My last opinion writing jump starter hails from the wonderful Johanna over at First Grade Fanatic! blog. She has three lovely freebie packets on opinion writing posted for download. Just follow the link under the picture above to find opinion piece writing packets that use yummies like s'mores, Hershey kisses, and Oreos as a starting point for students to get excited about writing opinion pieces.

I don't know about you, but after sifting through these fabulous websites, I am super eager to start teaching my kiddos the value of their opinion!

Happy Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment